Thursday, June 19, 2014

CrAzY for Good Causes

My husband informed me yesterday he was creating a team for the October 2014 Tough Mudder in Dallas. I felt fear instantly. I know what those obstacle courses are all about. And just the idea is frightening.

It wasn't until today that the level of craziness really sank in: he paid for our registration. It is official. I am going to run the Tough Mudder.

If you are unfamiliar with what Tough Mudder is all about, here's a YouTube video that might help you understand the fear that first seized my heart when he said we're doing it:


I think the reason this is so frightening to me is because it requires me overcoming several very real fears.

  • The fear of failing in front of an audience. Oh, and there's an audience. You can pay $20 to be a spectator. Seriously. So people pay to watch other people face-plant. Yep.
  • The fear of water. I don't like water. I don't mind lounging in a lazy river if I can stand up in it if I want or need to. But I don't swim well, and I have to hold my nose to keep water from going into it. Ugh, water obstacles.
  • The fear of murky water. Yes, I have seen the above video. I realize that the water is murky and muddy and gross. I've always HATED not being able to see what my feet are touching. I hate not being able to see what is right in front of me in the water. The only consolation here is that I will have shoes on, so that is good.
  • The fear of heights. I don't like to climb to the tops of water slides that are only eight or nine feet off the ground. It makes me dizzy. I stepped to the edge of the Stratosphere observation deck only once and only for a few seconds because seeing the world from that height made me want to throw up. So the idea that I will be jumping and, probably, falling from undetermined heights makes me feel nauseous. 
  • The fear of weakness. I am strong. Mentally and physically. I know I am. But I am not that strong. My upper body, my abs. I am going to need major strength training between now and October. 
But with all the fears I have to overcome, I have decided that they are nothing compared to the reason I am training. 

My team chose the name Boobs, Beards, and Freedom, which gets a chuckle out of most who hear it. But there is more to the name than humor. These are the organizations we support and these are the organizations for which we train:
  1. Wounded Warrior Project. The "Freedom" in our name refers to America's freedom and the soldiers who protect it. I cannot say enough about Wounded Warrior Project and what it does to help the wounded soldiers of our nation. We live in a nation of brave men and women who sacrifice themselves, in part and sometimes in whole, for the lifestyle we live. Giving back to them is the least I can do to show my gratitude, especially considering I am able to go out and overcome my superficial fears because they faced real fears on the battlefield. Wounded Warrior Project is the organization the Tough Mudder works to support, and a portion of my personal fundraising will benefit this worthy cause. 
  2. Breast Cancer Awareness. "Boobs" is a shout-out to the other cause we are working to support. This is a cause close to my heart, considering my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was thirty-seven years old. I just had the fourth mammogram of my life this morning, and I will continue to promote the importance of self-exams and breast cancer awareness. When I was ten, I watched my mom, and since then, other friends and family of friends, overcome great fears as they fought for their lives, and I am proud to be able to give to an organization that is working to educate women about breast health and to raise money for research to bring an end to this disease. October is breast cancer awareness month, and I hope to dedicate a portion of my fundraising efforts to a worthy breast cancer awareness organization.
  3. Health and Happiness. How does the "Beard" fit in? Well, my husband celebrates "freedom from razors," as he calls it, beginning July 4th weekend. As his beard reaches the point where I start to hope for January (which is when he usually shaves again), he reminds me that a beard makes him a man; it shows he is healthy, and it is his right as an American! So in celebration of our bodies--these temples we should worship and care for--we will run ten to twelve miles and endure twenty-five obstacles with names like Fire in Your Hole, Arctic Enema, and Ladder to Hell. Because, hey, we can, right? And, well, let's face it: because we're crazy.
If you'd like to join our team, there's still time, but these obstacle course runs sell out fast! Visit the team page and join team Boobs, Beards, and Freedom: 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tough-mudder-dallas-saturday-october-4-2014-registration-10081910265

And if crazy isn't your thing but you still want to root us on, please check back. I hope to set up a donation page soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment